Sunday, May 2, 2010

Singapore Flier

Its a lazy sunday afternoon when a couple of thoughts rang the bell to drive away my lazyness. The 1st time I stepped into Singapore, the taxi driver showed me a giant wheel kinda structure and told me that its called Singapore flier and you should not leave this place without experiencing it. "This is called Singapore flier? It looks like a bigger version of the giant wheel at the Indian exhibitions! wats a big deal in it?" This was my reaction on day 1.

Today I went out to City hall nearby, to meet my friend's friend(Swapnil) and his wife(Neha). I found out the directions to the city hall from the concierge at the hotel. Set out for the meet. I got down from the bus at some place which i thought was the destination. Yes, it was the destination. I walked across to the MRT where i saw them. Though i had not met them before, it felt really good to meet them at this new place. After talking for a while, we went around the mall for shopping. I dint find anything worth buying. So, i just got a pair of earrings as a token of the place.

We walked onto the road. Swapnil left both of us to spend the rest of the evening and went to attend a meeting at office. Neha was very friendly and bubbly girl..(Can you believe this? I claim to be very bubbly and I am praising some else?!). We could see Singapore flier from the place we were standing. At once, i recollected what my taxi driver said. Neha also said that she had not been to the place and asked if we can go along? We both picked up a map from the nearest customer service stall, kept asking people around and managed to reach the place. Like a typical airport, they scan your baggage, check the barcode of your ticket, and finally let u into one of the capsules of the giant wheel. It was indeed huge.. So huge that each capsule could accommodate more than 15 people without the slightest discomfort. Luckyly, our capusle had only 8 of us.

We went crazy once we reached the top most point. The wheel rotates very slowly. It takes 30 mins to complete one rotation. It gives the view of the entire Singapore. Singapore is not that big ;). Also, it gives a bit of insight into Indonesia. It was a very good sight. Especially we went in at around 6:50, which was a very perfect timing. If there was a running commentry indicating the places around and explaining a bit about each, it would have amplified the experience as such.

The bus stops here in Singapore are very friendly. They have the various destinations in an index format in an alphabetical order. Against each place, there are bus numbers of all the buses which arrive at that station and go towards your destination written. On the other side of the board at the bus stop, you have the route map for each bus number. The frequency of the buses is also remarkably good. I am not exaggerating when I tell the fact that I had not waited for more than 5 minutes at any bus stop for the last 5 days that I am here. I am truely impressed!!

Thanks to Swapnil and Neha for changing my lazy sunday to fun filled memorable evening!! Thanks to dada for facilitating our meet..

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So were you able to see bigger fliers after that day? I hope you were sufficiently satisfied by the surreal experience!