Thursday, May 23, 2013

Innocence or forgiveness?

This was an incident that happened about 17 years ago. I still remember it so well, because it has left an indelible mark on me. I was a kid then and was very fascinated by babies. They come to me quite easily and would enjoy to stay with me and play. I was so proud of myself that I have a charm to attract kids and I have a way with them. Vasu, my cousin's daughter slapped on this  very pride. She never came to me and never played with me. I remember once when I went to my grandmothers house I cried because she wasn't coming to me. Looking at my grief,  my cousin forcefully kept the baby in my hands. Vasu as a small baby began crying so badly that I had to finish my holidays without being successful at gaining her attention or love or whatever it is called..

When Vasu was 2 years old, she came to my house with her mom. I was so happy because i thought i can bribe her with all my toys and get her to come to me. Yet another disappointment..nothing worked.. She was so rigid about not coming to me and my ego did not allow me to give up. She left me no choice than being harsh to her. I locked the rest of the people in the house in a room and told her that I will allow her in only if she came to me like other kids. She did not buy that. I dont remember for how long i made her cry or how much the elders shouted at me. Finally one of my maternal cousins came home. Though Vasu was meeting him for the first time, she went running to him and he took her out to calm her down. This irritated me all the more..Why the hell does she not like me?

I sat there wondering about so many things. I dont know what my cousin told her on the way or if at all he told her anything. After they returned, she came to me by herself and offered me one of the two chocolates she got from the store outside. I did not have any words. I literally tortured her and she..she innocently came to me to share her chocolate. All this flashes in my head when i meet her even today...

No comments: